Single Euro Payments Area
The SEPA comprises the 27 EU Member States as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway and Switzerland.
SEPA payment gateway makes it possible for bank transfer, direct debit and card users from these 32 countries to follow a common set of standards and rules.
SEPA is already a reality, and its instruments may be used under a wide range of payment schemes available to users –credit transfers, direct debits core scheme, cards and direct debits B2B scheme– to conduct transactions in Spain and elsewhere in SEPA in a simple, secure and effective manner.
SEPA is the next reasonable step to complete the process after introduction of the notes and coins called euros, and will help make the most of the advantages offered by the Monetary Union.
In the Single Euro Payments Area, there are a number of instruments available for electronic retail payments in euros. With SEPA, there is no longer a difference between domestic and international payments – they are all SEPA payments now.
Benefits offered by SEPA:
- Increased protection for payment service users.
- Use of a single bank account for transactions within SEPA.
- Application of a common set of standards, which makes payment execution processes more efficient, while increasing competition.
- Development of innovations in the payment instruments field, which will serve as a platform for deployment of value-added services.
- Elimination of barriers to make international payments. Lower costs derived from shared technological resources.